How Project Management For Consultants Is Different
By Michael Wood
Project Management for consultants is different from normal, full-time Project Management in the following:
- It’s one of many engagements to the Project Manager.
- The Project Manager is (and should be) an outsider to the company’s culture.
- Consultant Project Managers should rise above company politics.
- Consultant Project Managers should stay detached and objective.
- Usually the consultant’s client (the company) expects perfection as well as better productivity from the Project Manager.
Michael Wood is the Subject Matter Expert on IT Strategy and Business Process Improvement for www.gantthead.com. His “Helix Factor” book series presents a comprehensive Business Process Improvement methodology that has been used successfully since the early 1980s to help organizations achieve breakthrough results. Michael is a CPA and has served as an adjunct professor for Pepperdine and Cal Lutheran universities in Southern California. In addition he has led workshops on Business Process Improvement, Strategic Planning and System Design on a national and international basis.