The Business Partner, Other Corporate/Divisional/Department Management, and Project Sponsor will appoint the project manager for the project as the date to start the project draws near. Key considerations in the decision include the candidates’:
- Technical and Integration skills
- Leadership ability
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of the organization
- Ability to gain the cooperation of key stakeholders
The Project Manager is held accountable for ensuring project success, leading the project team to achieve its objectives, ensuring effective communications with management and other non-project organizations, and ensuring that project problems are identified and resolved in a timely manner.
- Determine the qualifications needed to manage the project
- Identify potential candidates that meet the qualifications
- Check for potential availability with candidates’ management (if within the performing organization)
- Evaluate potential candidates based on their suitability
- Check for interest and commitment of the most suitable candidate
- Confirm selection with the candidate’s manager (if within the performing organization) announce project manager appointment to project stakeholders
Owner of This Step
- Project Sponsor
- Business Partner
- Other Corporate/Divisional/Department Management
John F. Filicetti, PMP, MBA
John Filicetti is a Sr. Sales Engineer/PM-PMO-PPM Consultant with a great depth of experience and expertise in enterprise project management, project management methodologies, Project Portfolio Management (PPM), Project Management Offices (PMOs), Governance, process consulting, and business management. John has directed and managed project management teams, created and implemented methodologies and practices, provided project management consulting, created and directed PMOs, and created consulting and professional services in such areas as project portfolio management, Governance, business process re-engineering, network systems integration, application development, infrastructure, and complex environments. John has enjoyed many years as PMO Director for large corpoations in the Seattle area and leads the PMO Roundtable discussion group and forum.
John has attained a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Education/Technology from Washington State University and an MBA from St. Mary’s College in Moraga, CA.