Skills and Attributes of the Programme Manager
By The Office of Government Commerce – OGC, UK
The individual appointed as programme manager must have the necessary seniority to be able to take on the responsibilities required of the role. The balance of skills required of the programme manager often changes as the programme develops: the person with the skills to set up the programme may not necessarily be the right person to drive through its implementation.
The Programme Manager should have :
- effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills;
- the ability to command respect and to create a sense of community amongst the often disparate members of the project teams;
- good knowledge of techniques for planning, monitoring and controlling programmes;
- good knowledge of project management approaches, such as PRINCE2;
- good knowledge of budgeting and resource allocation procedures;
- sufficient seniority and credibility to advise project teams on their projects in relation to the programme; and
- the ability to find ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
Successful delivery toolkit, the Office of Government Commerce – © Crown Copyright 2008