Categorization of Risks in Project Risk Management
By Abhilash Gopi
Risks can be categorized from 2 perspectives:
- Technical: risks categorized based on complexity, requirement changes, unproven
- Programmatic or Performance: such as safety, skills, regulatory changes, material
- Supportability or Environment: such as people, equipment, reliability, maintainability etc.
- Cost: such as sensitivity to technical risk, overhead, estimating errors etc.
- Schedule: such as degree of concurrency, number of critical path items, sensitivity to cost etc.
About Abhilash Gopi In his own words
I got smitten by the Project Management bug when I was working under K.U. Harsha, my first Project Manager and have been lucky since then to work under democratic managers (Purushottam Sitla, Rekha Varma). I could learn on-job from these wonderful managers and has been equally successful in applying these principles.
I am currently working as a Senior Test Manager with Cordiant Technologies, Kochi, India. Cordiant (www.cordiant.com) is an Offshore Product Development Services provider for ISVs and Web Startups and its innovation is spearheaded by our President & CEO, Dennis Paul.