10 Quick and Easy Ways to Earn PDUs for Re-Certification
By Global Knowledge
If you’re like most project managers, the daily business of business often keeps you too busy to worry about maintaining your skills. But one of the requirements of PMP certification is to earn Professional Development Units (PDUs) to prove that you’re constantly improving.
So, how do you balance working a full-time job with earning 20 PDUs a year – while maintaining some semblance of a real life? Here are 10 of our favorite ideas to get you started.
1. Provide project management services to a community group or charity: 5 PDUs per year
2. Write an article pertaining to project and/or program management and get it published – up to 30 PDUs, depending on the publisher
3. Attend project management training courses – 1 PDU for each class hour
4. Attend one of Global Knowledge’s free webinars – 1 PDU for each webinar
5. Serve on a project management panel discussion at a conference or symposium – 5 PDUs
6. Get involved with your local PMI Chapter
- Serve on a committee for at least 3 months – 1 PDU
- Serve 6 months – 3 PDUs
- Serve 12 months – 5 PDUs
7. Get REALLY involved with your local PMI Chapter
- Serve as an elected officer for at least 3 months – 2 PDUs
- Serve 6 months – 5 PDUs
- Serve 12 months – 10 PDUs
8. Self-directed learning such as discussions or coaching sessions, or reading articles, books, instructional manuals, videos, CD-ROMs, or other material resources – 15 PDUs
9. Speak at your local PMI chapter meeting – 5 PDUs
10. Speak at a project management conference or course – 10 PDUs
And to help you out even more, here’s a bonus idea. The Global Knowledge PMP Renewal Subscription gives you access to up to 92 PDUs every year through webinars and short courses you can access anywhere you have a computer. Only need one or two? Each webinar and course is also available for sale individually.
This article was originally published in Global Knowledge’s Business Brief e-newsletter. Global Knowledge delivers comprehensive hands-on project management, business process, and professional skills training. Visit our online Knowledge Center at www.globalknowledge.com/business for free white papers, webinars, and more.
© Copyright 2007, Global Knowledge. All rights reserved.