A List of Recommendations for Project Conflict Management
By Global Knowledge
This article complements a previous article: “A List of Best Practices for Project Conflict Management“.
As a Project Manager, it is recommended that you follow the below to handle conflicts.
- Use disarming strategies and ask for help; agree with criticism.
- Adapt to the other side’s social and communication styles.
- Show empathy for other person’s viewpoint.
- Find creative solutions, not fault.
- Be partners: solve the problem while building the relationship.
- Turn orders into requests.
- If you are a leader, do not take over and solve the problem for the group.
- Use effective negotiation strategies for win-win.
- Never compromise your values.
- Use a neutral third party to mediate, if necessary.
This article was originally published in Global Knowledge’s Business Brief e-newsletter. Global Knowledge delivers comprehensive hands-on project management, business process, and professional skills training. Visit our online Knowledge Center at www.globalknowledge.com/business for free white papers, webinars, and more.
© Copyright 2008, Global Knowledge. All rights reserved.