Advantages of Web-enabled Project Management Software
By Dr.Russell Archibald
There are currently a large number of powerful, commercially available, Web-enabled project management software systems that offer advantages to the project planning and control arena. These systems:
- Enable improved collaboration and communication for project teams no matter where the members are located geographically, with everyone working from the same currently updated information.
- Provide risk and issue tracking and escalation processes.
- Empower staff and project team members through access to central information repositories, with suitable controls on who can change the information.
- Automate much if not most of the project management process and related documentation and record keeping.
- Enable key resource assignment within and between projects, programs, and project portfolios, and facilitate corporate resource planning and acquisition.
- Enable tracking and evaluation of changes in project scope, schedule, cost and risk.
- Allow integration of project management processes with all other business systems.
- Capture the “lessons learned” on every project for incorporation into the project management process and related data repositories.
A Web-enabled project management system must be selected and implemented—as a project—at the most effective (project portfolio or total enterprise) level. As such, the selection and implementation of such systems is in itself a complex management project.
Dr. Russell D. Archibald, PhD (Hon), MSc, Fellow PMI and APM/IPMA, PMP, is one of the six founding members of the Project Management Institute. Now semi-retired, he has many years of management experience in engineering and operations with a variety of major US corporations in Europe and South America as well as the US. He has made major contributions to the understanding of project management, is author of the best selling 2003 book “Managing High-Technology Programs and Projects” (published also in Russian, Chinese, and Italian), has trained more than a thousand program and project managers and project specialists around the world, and has consulted in project management to clients in 14 countries on 4 continents. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.russarchibald.com.