You have now gained more knowledge about your project. Working on the SOW helped you refine a number of aspects of your project. You should now start project planning, which involves:
- Detailing the activities that make up your project – you will use the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) to accomplish this.
- Creating a network diagram to determine the dependencies among the activities.
- Identifying the resources (people, equipment, facilities, etc.) you need for the project.
- Establishing a schedule for your project and refining its scope.
- Putting all of the information into a project management plan that will become the baseline document for your project. Remember to get the plan approved by the main stakeholders of the project.
Manjeet Singh has over 17 years of experience acquired in a wide variety of industries with a focus on project and program management at Software Makers and Global IT Services companies throughout the world. Manjeet has an Executive MBA from the HEC Management School, and is the author of the website www.projectminds.com that provides a free guide to project management, and offers other project management-related resources.